775 Commonwealth Ave
#DeeperThanWater is making an appearance at the Boston Anarchist Bookfair this year!
11 am – 12:30 pm
George Sherman Union, 775 Commonwealth Ave
Third floor, room 321
–> accessibility details below
Join us for our 3rd public teach in on the toxic water crisis in MA prisons.
Massachusetts prisons have a toxic water problem, and the state knows. Thanks to prisoners’ tireless work, the best documented case is at MCI Norfolk. We understand this crisis to be #DeeperThanWater – this is a symptom of the racist age of incarceration, and we are working to hold the state accountable, provide every MA prisoner with clean, safe, free, and sufficient water, and tell the story of incarceration in the US.
– tell you the story of toxic water in MA prisons
– offer you ways to get involved (writing a prisoner, hosting a briefing in your community, attending an action, making a monetary donation, and more)
The Boston Globe broke the story of MCI Norfolk on June 17th. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/06/17/water-state-largest-prison-raises-concerns/xDEkyL3GFwsqag7qvywl3K/story.html
Boston Anarchist Bookfair is coordinating this part!
CHILDCARE: We will have a staffed children’s room for the duration of this event!
The George Sherman Union is an ADA compliant building. The main tabling space is on the first floor, with no steps to enter it. There are several elevators all within a minute of the main tabling space to get to classrooms. Both the classrooms and the abling space have a variety of seating, including couches, and armless chairs. We encourage people to help us make this a scent-free space!
We are a multi-generational, multiracial, formerly and currently incarcerated, allies, and abolitionists. We aim to:
– uplift the voices of prisoners and former prisoners, telling the story of incarceration in the US through the lens of water injustice
– ensure all prisoners in MA have immediate access to free, clean, safe, healthy, and sufficient water
– hold the state of MA accountable to rectifying the issues at MCI Norfolk and other effected prisons
No admission cost, but we will pass the hat to fund our work.
Please let us know if you could use:
– ASL or other translation; llamanos si necesitas traduccion
– other supports to make this event work for you
Emancipation Initiative – Against Life Without Parole, Black and Pink, Young Abolitionists, Black Lives Matter Boston, PSL Boston – Party for Socialism and Liberation, SURJ Boston – Showing Up for Racial Justice, Toxics Action Center, and individual current and former prisoner organizers.