45 Mount Auburn St
Massachusetts prisons have a toxic water problem, and the state knows. Thanks to prisoners’ tireless work, the best documented case is at MCI Norfolk. We understand this crisis to be #DeeperThanWater – this is a symptom of the racist age of incarceration, and we are working to hold the state accountable, provide every MA prisoner with clean, safe, free, and sufficient water, and tell the story of incarceration in the US.
Join us for our 2nd teach in on Monday, 10/30 at 7 pm, at The Democracy Center
– tell you the story of toxic water in MA prisons
– offer you ways to get involved (writing a prisoner, hosting a briefing in your community, attending an action, making a monetary donation, and more)
The Boston Globe broke the story of MCI Norfolk on June 17th. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/06/17/water-state-largest-prison-raises-concerns/xDEkyL3GFwsqag7qvywl3K/story.html
Accessibility information below.
***MORE DETAILS TBA.***
We are a multi-generational, multiracial, formerly and currently incarcerated, allies, and abolitionists. We aim to:
– uplift the voices of prisoners and former prisoners, telling the story of incarceration in the US through the lens of water injustice
– ensure all prisoners in MA have immediate access to free, clean, safe, healthy, and sufficient water
– hold the state of MA accountable to rectifying the issues at MCI Norfolk and other effected prisons
No admission cost, but we will pass the hat to fund our work.
Please let us know if you could use:
– ASL or other translation; llamanos si necesitas traduccion
– other supports to make this event work for you
The Democracy Center is partially wheelchair accessible, no accessible bathroom on site. The Mandela, Parks, and Chavez rooms are accessible, but the Library is not. Wheelchair users are welcome to use the accessible restroom at Daedalus while we plan our improvements for bathroom accessibility. To reach that bathroom, exit the ramp and turn left on Bow St, at the next building (Daedalus) use their accessible entrance and their restroom will be on the right. More information at: democracycenter.org/accessibility.
Contact [email protected] or 617 492 8855 as needed